5 Drinking Games for The College Freshman (or the young at heart)
We know many of you are headed back to campus, so we thought we’d help you make the most of your experience by sharing our favorite drinking games. Drink responsibly and if one of your buddies is down for the count, make sure to put them in the recovery position before drawing on them with sharpies.
A beloved game that requires smack talk, distractions and tons of alcohol-infused luck. To play you’ll need a table, beer cups, and ping pong balls. The table and cups should be arranged like picture below.
There are two teams and they can either have one or two people on them. The goal of the game is to throw or bounce your ping pong ball into the other teams cups. Doing so forces your opponent to drink the cup’s contents. Repeat until one team’s cups are gone.
*Important* For the love of god, please fill the cups with water and instead have a drink to the side that you sip/chug from. The ping pong balls will be touching dirty things, and this will avoid you ingesting billions of germs.
Some rules for Beer Pong include:
- Your elbow cannot go past your first cup when throwing
- If you and your teammate get your balls in on the same round then you go again
- If the ball bounces it can be swatted away
- If the ball is circling the rim of the cup girls can blow it out and guys can use their fingers to dig it out
Flip cup is a team game that can be played with as little as two people. However, from my experience, the more people involved, the more fun it is. All that is needed is a table and beer cups. The point of the game is to chug your drink and successfully flip your cup before your opponent.
Flip Cup Rules:
- Form two teams with equal amount of players
- First pair chugs their drinks, then puts them on the table with a bit hanging off
- They must complete a flip with one hand (right side up to upside down or vice versa)
- Once the person finishes the process is repeated with the next person in line, BUT you do not have to wait for your opponent to catch up
Flip Cup can be a very close race, but but often there is one person who breaks under the pressure and is unable to flip their cup, losing the game for their entire team. Either way it tends to be exhilarating and sparks the competitive nature in people that leads to more rounds and more drinks.
Power Hour or Century Club
For the times that you want to concentrate on getting black out drunk (not recommended when you have something due) there is Power Hour or Century Club. Pay attention because this is not as easy a game as the first two.
- Take a shot of beer every minute
- If you complete 60 you have done a “power hour”
- if you complete 100 you are a part of the “century club” (your poor poor liver)
While this game may seem easy it is not a game for the weak; it does involve strategy. For every shot you miss you must make up for it. So a simple task of going to the bathroom could end in you taking four consecutive shots to catch up. So stock up on beer and start planning.
Kings is a game that only requires a cup and a deck of cards and needs a minimum of two players. The cup is placed in the middle of the table and the cards are spread around it to make a circle. Players take turns selecting a card and following a the rule tied to it. If someone breaks the circle while drawing a card they must take a drink. The game is over when all cards have been drawn.
Here’s what the cards mean:
- Ace – Waterfall – Chug your drink, everyone must join in a clockwise fashion. Players cannot stop until the person on their right stops.
- Two, You – Give a drink to someone.
- Three, Me – Take a drink yourself.
- Four, Floor- Last one to point at the floor takes a drink.
- Five, Guys – Guys drink.
- Six, Chicks – Girls drink.
- Seven – Thumb Master – Whenever you place your thumb on the table everyone must follow. The last player to do so has to take a drink. Thumb Master stays in power until someone else draws a Seven.
- Eight – Categories – Make up a category that everyone must name something within. The first player to stumble has to take a drink.
- Nine Rhyme – Choose a word that everyone must rhyme with. The first to stumble has to take a drink.
- Ten, Friend – Pick a partner who drinks with you for the rest of the game and vice versa.
- Jack – Rule – Make up a rule that must be followed until the end of the game. If rule is broken the player must drink.
- Queen – Question Master – If you ask a question whoever answers must drink. The Question Master stays in power until someone else draws a Queen.
- King’s Cup – Pour some of your drink into the King’s Cup. If you draw the last King you must drink the contents of the cup.
The further into this game you get the more fun it becomes because people forget that they cannot answer certain people’s questions. They also become oblivious to subtle things like a thumb placed on the table. For added fun use two decks of cards.
The TV Game
This game is the most creative because the only rules are ones that you make. First, select something to watch. Then create the rules for when to drink. Lastly, sit back and get drunk.
Here are some example that we came up with.
Watch The Simpsons and drink whenever:
- Homer says “doh”
- Marge groans
- Bart makes a prank call
Watch Friends and drink whenever:
- Ross says something questions (like this)
- Joey says “how you doin’?”
- Rachel’s nipples are hard
- Someone screams
- Someone makes a horrible decision
- The token black person dies first
Watch clip after clip of LL Cool J on YouTube and drink whenever:
- He licks his lips
Bonus: Racing Game
This game is for those that love to play video games. All you will need is a racing video game and booze. We suggest Mario Kart.
- You must finish the race.
- You cannot finish the race until you have finished your drink.
- Obviously you cannot drink and drive so you must pull over to the side while drinking.
- First to finish wins.
We hope you have fun playing these games, but they are just games — change them up how you see fit. And remember their real purpose: to get you drunk. For good measure we want to ensure you drink responsibly – UBER is your best friend.