The department offers a B.A. degree in Foreign Languages with a concentration in 法国 or 西班牙语.
|法国 Degree Plan||法国 Suggested Course of Study|
|西班牙语 Degree Plan||西班牙语 Suggested Course of Study|
To prepare students for living in and contributing to the global community with language skills and cultural awareness
Courses focus on fostering communication in our students. Emphasizing the four skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing, instructors also promote cultural awareness at all levels. Upper-division courses promote further linguistic progress while developing critical thinking through the analytic study of literatures and cultures outside the U.S.
Why Study 法国?
Outside of France, French is one of the official languages of Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Canada, and the official and diplomatic language of many countries in Africa, French territories in the Caribbean and in the Pacific. 法国 is also spoken in Louisiana and parts of New England.
法国 culture, particularly that aspect of it known as the Enlightenment, was influential in shaping our own democracy in the 18th century. It is the language of philosophy, gastronomy, art, fashion and science. Today, France is a leading world economy in the fields of aeronautics, space-travel and communication technology. In today’s global economy, language competence and an awareness of cultural diversity are essential for a career in international business.
- Be understood in over 55 countries across five continents and by over 200 million people.
- Get a head start on learning other Romance languages like 西班牙语, Italian, and Portuguese.
- Develop critical, creative thinking and problem solving skills. 法国 also provides the base for more than 50% of the modern English vocabulary, which improves performance on standardized tests.
- Open the doors to art, music, fashion, food, architecture, literature, scientific innovation, and technology.
- Discover a new appreciation for other cultures in countries that speak 法国 like Canada, Belgium, Switzerland, and many African nations.
- Use 法国 to pursue studies in Francophone countries.
- Promote language diversity throughout the world.
- Be more competitive in the national and international job market in disciplines like business, medicine, aviation, law, transportation technologies, global/international distribution and luxury goods.
- 法国 is the official working language of the UN, NATO, UNESCO, the International Olympic Committee, the European Union, the International Red Cross and much more!
- European Union, the International Red Cross and much more!
Why Study 西班牙语?
More than 350 million people speak Spanish throughout the world. Spanish is the official language of Spain, Mexico, six Central American countries, three Caribbean countries, nine South American countries and Equatorial Guinea in Africa. 西班牙语 is also widely spoken throughout the United States.
西班牙语 is a vital language of international trade, and its importance continues to grow. Language competence and an awareness of cultural diversity are considered essential for a career in international business. Many American companies have dealings with Mexico as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement, and with Spain, whose economy is one of the fastest-growing in Europe.
Other opportunities for students majoring or minoring in 西班牙语 include teaching, social work, and federal government jobs.
The minor in FL consists of 12 credit hours of courses numbered 300 of higher in the target language. Students wishing to declare a major or minor in a foreign language must consult with an advising professor in the Foreign Languages Program.
Foreign Language Newsletter
Please select an issue below to view the Foreign Language Department’s Newsletter.